Saturday 31 March 2018

I am His Representative. Mathew 5:16

  "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." NKJV
  "In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father." JCB

Image result for oil lamp images clip art  I read this and can't help but be grateful. There's a whole lot of Your good works, Lord, that went into making this little light of mine shine. Without You having laid down Your life, everything I am or think or say would be nothing.
  My light would consume me because there would be no fuel, no sustenance. There would be no one to shape my wick, a necessary task, because as an oil lamp burns the wick needs the burnt bits cut away. A new wick also needs to be trimmed to form the flame so it doesn't shatter the protective glass.
  And I give thanks, too, that the Bible reveals how relevant it is for all generations. I have read this passage and thought of a lamp with glass and an oil reservoir. Ancient lamps didn't have glass at all! The principles are timeless, ageless and for all who live and breath.

  I've done a lot of thinking lately about the idea of "good works". I have come to realize good works are right up there beside God's creation of the universe. He declared it good, too!
  Through reflecting on this idea, it has helped me realize that even though I don't volunteer at a soup kitchen or as a missionary in some far away land, my life is the life of a missionary. My mission field is everywhere: my own kitchen, a local grocery store, work, and church. Even hiking in the woods is an opportunity to serve God by picking up garbage or working through the inner battle to not condemn the people who don't pick up after their dogs. It's a law in Ontario and a pet peeve of mine. Ha! No pun intended!

  I am blessed and ever grateful to have a job where my role is defined by service to others. Yet, to think of any paying job as not being a service to others means we don't live in and through Christ's heart for all people. It may not be a role that has contact with the general public, but there are a whole lot of people we work with who are watching. Especially if they know we are Christians!
  As believers, there's a paradox in living by the high standard of humility.
  It help to keep it real...
  "In Him, we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:28
  Always! Not just at church. Not only at specific venues. Not only when we are with others.
 
  Good works isn't being busy all the time, serving others. It's not even about being busy. Good works living is an all encompassing way of life. 
  Jesus would often go away by Himself to be with His Father. It wasn't a selfish act but one that enabled Him to live selflessly and humbly.
  I think the only time we got to follow Him in His time alone with God was in the Garden of Gethsemane, the start of the "good-est" work of all eternity.
  Good works include those quiet moments of turning to God so our reservoirs can be filled by an inpouring, indwelling eternal love.
  All of us need wick tending time. (Lord, I lift my judgement of pet owners to You.)
  Because our lamp will shine all the brighter for it.

  May you be blessed this Easter weekend.



 

 



 

2 comments:

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...