Monday 26 February 2018

Affirmation 209, 1 Corinthians 3:21-23

  I am a possessor of all things.
  "Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: whether Paul or Apolos or Cephas, or the world of life or death, or things present or things to come--all are yours. And you are Christ's and Christ is God's."
  "So don't boast about following a particular human leader. For everything belongs to you--whether Paul or Apollos or Peter, or the world, or life and death, or the present and the future. Everything belongs to you, and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.

  The flood waters receded quickly once the ice dam was broken up. It only took half a day for the pumps to clear out the water from downstairs.
  The basement is now only damp as fans have worked overtime to dry it up. Several people from my church family came over Saturday morning to help. In an hour they managed to clear the basement floor of soggy bits of wood and cardboard. The floor was swabbed down with Lysol. The shed door was popped open and the contents set outside to dry. All that was left for me to do was tear up the small area of water saturated laminate flooring by the back door to give the entry a chance to dry.
  The upstairs is still in disarray with camping gear and power tools scattered around the kitchen, living room and laundry area. Until the floor is completely dry I don't want to start putting things back. It might take a few days yet so there will be plenty of time to think about what type of storage is best for below grade basements. :) I'm thinking raised skids as shelves a few feet off the floor. It will also give me a chance to think about improving the workshop work area, too.
  I am thankful the furnace, water heater and water pump sustained no damage. I am thankful the two sump pumps earned their keep by keeping the water level to around eighteen inches deep at the peak of the flood. It could have easily been three time that depth especially if the water outside had reached the basement windows. Whew! It didn't.
  The car only had an inch of water on the floor that was easily vacuumed out otherwise it was undamaged. There was no need for a rental after all.
  There is no need for an insurance claim because loss was at a minimum. A few Christmas ornaments and photos didn't survive. It did cause a laugh because my fake Christmas tree was in a water-tight tote while the stuff that could get damaged wasn't! My paper mache nativity scene was turned to mush and my Christmas bears all had a bath. It gave me a chance to purge the ornament box with ruthless decision making and there's plenty of time to make another nativity scene for next year.
  Remember the plaque I bought in Florida that said, "She is clothed with strength & dignity & laughs without fear of the future" from Proverbs? It has helped sustain me throughout all the upheaval. It leaves me deeply humbled that the Lord knew I would need it. I am thankful as well that I listened to Him this time and bought it! I don't always. :)
  I am a possessor of all things...things that are far greater than stuff because I belong to God's family.
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...