Thursday 21 December 2017

Mark 11:22-23 by Susan L.

  I am a mountain mover.
  "So Jesus answered and said to them, 'Have faith in God. For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, "Be removed and be cast into the sea," and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says." NKJV
  "Then Jesus said to the disciples, 'Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, "May you be lifted up and thrown in to the sea," and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart." JCB

  So why aren't prayers answered or mountains moved?
  What are the stumbling blocks?
  Jesus makes it clear that doubt is the biggest reason.
  Yet, when I think of Moses, he did miracles. He moved the sea.
  Hold on. His miracles happened because he was obedient to God's commands and set his ego aside for God to perform His wonders through him in front of thousands of witnesses.
  Years ago, as a brand new, rather obnoxious, Christian, I stood beneath a shower head that dripped constantly. I was eager to try the power of prayer on everyone, everything and anything. (The dead mouse, attempted resurrection happened around this time as well.) I prayed hard over that drip, commanding it to cease dripping. I fully expected it to stop because I'd prayed in the name of Jesus over it with all the enthusiasm of a televangelist.
  It didn't stop dripping.
  I had a good laugh at myself. Moses I wasn't!
  I should have called a plumber.

  Is faith in God's plan for our lives the foundation for answered prayers? As Jesus said in Gethsemane, "Your will, Father, not mine."
  Or maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. Sometimes prayers are based on what we think we want, what we think is best. Maybe pride is another one of those stumbling blocks.
  Maybe our Santa Claus culture confuses the understanding of answered prayers.

  I can proclaim to the world God has answered my own prayers time and again. A few days ago, He showed me why I was afraid to be happy. He revealed how the world had twisted His truth.
  Lord, my heart swells with gratitude when I think of all the things you have blessed me with in this earthly realm and in the spiritual realm as well. I also give thanks that You help me laugh at my own foolishness.

  Sometimes I think we are blind to answered prayers. We, me included, don't even realize they've been answered. It's only in hindsight we fully understand that mountains have moved after all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...