Tuesday 26 December 2017

I am Never Forsaken. Hebrews 13:5 by Susan L.

  "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" NKJV
  "Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, 'I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.'" JCB

  The new translation feels a bit pale against the language in the older version of this Scripture. Covetousness, envy, covers more than money alone. The Old Testament commandment is specific: 'Thou shalt not covet your neighbour's house; you shall not covet your neighbour's wife or his male servant, or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbour." Exodus 20:17
  Jesus came to put the law aside. In its place is the New Covenant. In Christ, the ten commandments become the ten promises. How?
  Because of love.
  It means we can celebrate and give thanks for how the Lord has blessed our neighbours. In doing that, it helps build appreciation for how the Lord has blessed each of us in unique and special ways.
  It may not be the big house on the hill or the Humvee but our blessing may be the gift of teaching or organizing or working with children.
  However, it is much easier said than done.

   I've been checking out snow blower prices in the weekly flyers, watching for one to become affordable. The Farmer's Almanac has promised a snowy winter. While shovelling snow for the second time already.. I wished...I did some financial wrangling in my head...I bargained and schemed...
  My neighbour fired up a new, monster snow blower. It roared and rumbled. It mercilessly fired snow twenty-five-thirty-five-feet-in-the-air.
  It was far bigger than anything I'd ever want to use! In fact, I looked down my nose at how big it was. Still, I was jealous and resentful as I evil-eyed the remaining sixty-five feet of my own driveway yet to be cleared while his driveway was done in no time!
  It's not very pretty is it?
  Envy never is.
  Once he finished, he came, unasked, and finished mine in about four passes after sharing the blower had come from his parents who no longer needed it. His generosity and thoughtfulness brought tears to my eyes. They weren't only tears of gratitude but shame for my mean thoughts.

  Yesterday dawned an extra white Christmas which meant breaking out the shovel again before heading down for a celebratory feast at my parent's place. It must have snowed more up north during the afternoon because when I came home, once again, he'd blown out the driveway.
  The Lord has chosen to bless my neighbour. Despite my uncharitable thoughts and feelings, my neighbour has blessed me. How can I remain envious when his boyish delight and joy in the man-sized-monster-machine makes me happy for him?
  How can I be resentful when the Lord has provided above and beyond what was my heart's desire? Not only is there a snow blower to help out once and a while but it comes with a driver!
  I don't presume to expect he will be able to help me every time it snows. I wouldn't ask it of him but I sure appreciate the help when it comes.
  Thank You, Lord, for Your forgiving heart, Your grace, and Your provision in all things.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...