Friday 8 December 2017

I am Loyal. Psalm 86:2 by Susan L.

  "Preserve my life, for I am holy; You are my God; Save Your servant who trusts in You!" NKJV
  "Protect me, for I am devoted to You. Save me, for I serve you and trust you. You are my God." JCB

  My mind has drawn a blank about how King David, an author of the Psalms, lived out the rest of his life. Chosen by God to be King, he eventually succumbed to the temptation of using his power for personal gain: namely the wife of one of his most faithful soldiers. He succumbed to human desires, that sinful, seductive voice, to the point of arranging the death of her husband so she would be free to be with him.
  Wikipedia (yay!) has the outline of David's full story. As a result of his choices, David was denied the privilege of  rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem. Then his son, Absalom tried to overthrow him so David fled until Absalom died. The fallen king returned to Jerusalem, to the throne, to finish out his reign in peace. He named Solomon as heir.
  I have to wonder what happened when David went into exile.
  I have to wonder what words God whispered in his ear after David's position of earthly power was stripped away.
  I have to wonder if David spoke to God with a contrite and repentant heart.
  Actually, he does. Regularly. It's in the Psalms.
  He writes of the depression and sorrow being apart from God birthed in his breast. He writes of regret and shame and fear. He offers his heart to God over and over again, singing praises to the One he knows will fix everything.
  How does this tie into loyalty?

  Because God is.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...