Saturday 2 December 2017

Affirmation #164 by Susan L.

  I am a living stone in a spiritual house. 1 Peter 2:5
  "You also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." NKJV
  "And you are living stones that God is building into his spiritual temple. What's more, you are his holy priests. Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God." JCB

  What exactly are spiritual sacrifices?
  This needs Google-ing.

  Denton Bible Associations has blessed my search with a clear list.
  It starts by making note that, under the law, there were seven types of sacrifices. Pigeons, cows, and other animals were used in blood offerings for the redemption of sins. What animal depended on the sin or how much money you had. Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross did away with this necessity. For believers, in place of the Law, are seven spiritual sacrifices that neither blood nor money can buy.
  I am copying this list from the site www.dentonpbc.org as affirmed by the appropriate scriptures. The comments in brackets are my own.

  1. The sacrifice of faith. (Turning away from the ways of the world and serving God.)
  2. The sacrifice of righteousness. (Placing our trust in the Lord. This might include making choices that are God honouring according to our faith in Jesus.)
  3. The sacrifice of a broken spirit. (The act of repentance then embracing life lived in and through God's grace. I think this may also mean the act of letting go of the old man and embracing the new as preordained by God.)
  4. The sacrifice of thanksgiving. (Giving thanks when we don't feel thankful does wonders for the soul.)
  5. The sacrifice of praise. (It's a wonderful way to overcome trials when we focus on the One who has all things in His sight.)
  6. The sacrifice of doing good. (Our actions speak louder than words sometimes.)
  7. The sacrifice of communicating good to others. (While not 100% clear, I think this has to do with helping each other bear our burdens through the love of Jesus. It also includes what Thursday's post was about: speaking life into a situation. Is sharing the Gospel considered a sacrifice?)

   This is an awesome list. But what is a sacrifice anyways?
  Webster's says it is giving up something you want to keep.

  oh.
  
  (Long pause.)

  Lord, what stones are weighing me down and preventing me from finding the joy in a life lived fully in You? I don't want to keep anything that comes between us but I need You to show me what these things are. Guide me into the freedom of letting go, of sweet sacrifice. Let me grow into a spiritual anchor stone for others. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 1

    "Keep on seeking, and you will find." Mathew 7:7     I am still dealing with the fallout of Friday's panic attack. The wor...