Tuesday 28 November 2017

I Have Light. John 8:12 by Susan L.

  "Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."" NKJV
  "Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness because you will have the light that leads to life."" JCB

  In comparing these translations, I think I prefer the first one. In the JCB version, it implies that Jesus will give us the "light that leads to life" at some point. It comes across, to me, like something that has yet to happen. That life isn't with us yet.
  In the NKJV, we "have the light of life." It's here. It's indwelling. It's intricately wrapped around every particle of our DNA. Or should I say, He is here. Jesus is indwelling. His Spirit is intricately wrapped around every particle of our DNA.
  Oh...right. This conversation happened prior to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the Upper Room. Jesus is hinting at a promise yet to be fulfilled for all His followers.
  The Bible is a history book as well as a guide. It's good to keep that in mind.
  Maybe that's part of the promise as well. Jesus would have known at some point in the future, His words would be written down for all believers. He knew His Father would inspire the authors to write letters. He knew His Father would inspire someone to put it all together. He knew someone would invent a printing press. He knew His words would be translated into countless languages. He knew His story would be written down so those who don't believe would be able to read about Him and the love of God.
  If Jesus is a lighthouse, the Holy Bible is His beacon.
  And we are blessed by the illuminating wisdom of the Holy Spirit to help us understand His words.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...