Monday 23 October 2017

Ephesians 5:1 by Susan L.

  Today's affirmation is: I am an imitator of God.

  "Therefore be imitators of God as dear children." NKJV
  "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children." JCB

  I think back to my own children and how much of their learning and growth was based around imitating the adult role models in their lives. My two year old uttered a mild profanity after I bumped the car hard into the curb. The timing was perfect and we all found it extremely funny but, boy, did I ever have a hard time getting him to stop saying that particular word. Especially since we'd all laughed in the first place!
  I confess he learned it from his parents.
  Then there is an image from a documentary film that still haunts me to this day even though it's been thirty years since I saw it. The film was about the troubles between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland when things were at their worst in the 1970's. One side or the other was having a parade. It doesn't matter which. A cute as a button, rosy cheeked, little girl of about four years old was standing on the sidelines shaking her fist. She was screaming hate filled words at the parade participants who were not of her faith.
  She learned it from her parents.
  God forgive us. Forgive me.
 
  Now I'm stuck. I haven't a clue about what to write next.

  My heart is crying out against all the world's lessons that still have a foothold. My soul is crying out for something better, to live better than I have. I want grace, compassion, kindness, joy and hope to be an intrinsic part of me. I want those blessings to overflow. Lord, I want to imitate Your amazing love with every fibre of my being. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...