Friday 16 June 2017

I Am Content Phillipians 4:11 by Susan L.

  "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content." NKJ
  "Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have." JCB
  Paul then goes on to add, "For I have learned how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Phil 4:12-13
  I've taken a few days off work but hadn't made any plans. It appears Someone Else had a great idea how to best use the time!
  So the last three days were spent in the basement. It was utter chaos down there. My tiny workshop had been dismantled last year when Hydro reconfigured the power supply to the house. Whenever I'd done a project, the kit needed had been simply chucked downstairs. Every time I went down there, it was overwhelming. Every time I tried to find the tape measure, it took forever to find! Aaaargh!
  A new, bigger workbench has been built using thick pine boards I'd salvaged from a discarded waterbed eight years ago for just that purpose. It has one shallow shelf for clear bins containing hand tools and other bits and pieces intrinsic to woodworking. It has a deeper shelf on the bottom for small scraps of decent wood that might come in handy down the road. I hung peg board above it to hang the tools used all the time. No more hammer hunting either!
  Shelves are set up to hold power tools. Another holds nails and screws and a small but mighty ghetto blaster for playing worship music while I am working. Loudly.
  The shop was moved to the other side of the basement away from the oil tank and furnace. There's now plenty of safe space for working around the bigger power tools that have their own stands.
  The entire basement was swept and de-cobwebbed. Five bags of trash are waiting to go to the dump. I've a pile of metal stuff waiting for a friend to come pick up and recycle. There's three massive bins of garbage wood to burn. Why I'd hung onto it, I've no idea!
  A keeper is an old, 1970's era, soft seated, chrome legged chair that invited me to sit for a moment and enjoy the finished product. Content? You betcha!
  Where's this leading? Because I was not happy with the situation down there, opportunity opened up for change to happen. Out of discontent comes the contentment found in making those changes as well as being able to enjoy the arrival at the end. But I don't think this is what Paul is talking about here.
  Am I content with what has grown over the years into an amazingly well equipped shop? For the most part. I'd like to build a router table so it's safer to work with. It's a powerful beast that can take on a mind of its own. A small wood planer would be nice, too. (Chuckle.) A few days ago I was bemoaning the fact I didn't know my heart's desire besides wanting to know Jesus better. Lord, I lift this little wish list to You.
  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19

That is waaaaaay more than power tools!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...