Sunday 19 March 2017

Journey of Waiting by Susan L.

  I've always been a good waiter. Not the kind that serves tables although I have done that in the past and was pretty good at watching and waiting to meet the diners' needs. There was one middle-aged couple who came every week and asked for my section. The restaurant was a quasi-fast food, chicken slinging franchise. For the brief time they were there, enjoying a half litre of wine après feast, it was wonderful to provide the space for a romantic dinner for two. They only ordered their meal after the wine was gone and didn't like to be disturbed before that point. I don't think my boss liked it that much because a table used for longer than the allotted 35-45 minutes meant no new people buying a quick meal.
  Too bad because this couple had a palpable love for each other and this love was a gift to witness.
  My goodness! That was thirty years ago...it could have been yesterday.
  It served me well on the farm when hours were spent in the barn anticipating a new life. Quiet patience, slow movements, and the knowledge that the birthing process couldn't be rushed. It was a rare place of peace for me in the midst of chaos.
  Waiting is part of the human experience. Traffic, appointments, paycheck deposits, the busy Saturday grocery store weave a pattern of "take five" in the busy-ness of life.
  I will confess that sometimes I don't do the wait very well. Hmmm, usually it's because I'm busy judging whoever is holding up the line. Now that's a bit of insight regarding my own behaviour and attitudes! Thank You, Lord!
  So. A journey of waiting. For what, remains to be seen. All I know is that these moments of not being able to do anything to hurry things along are incredibly precious. Being okay with that inability is even better.
  "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." Ps 91:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...