Friday 3 February 2017

For the Refugees by Susan L.

  It may have been mentioned before that I have a thing for disaster movies. The endoftheworldasweknowit which, most of the time, only affects the USA seeing as that's where most of the movies are made. Her mighty memorials are repeatedly destroyed by aliens and weather. A photo op of the tattered Stars and Stripes always finds its way into the movie at some point. The geek who is maligned by disbelievers in their crackpot theories ends up being the hero. Their theories are always proven right in the end and the fanatical, close minded general or politician or competing scientist is utterly discredited.
  That about covers the plot line for every disaster movie I've ever watched but they still draw me in.
  There is the odd movie that destroys other world icons thanks to special effects. I've seen the Ferris wheel in England, the Eiffel Tower, and the Great Pyramids all fall thanks to laser beams or tornados.
  I don't know why I like them. Maybe it makes me feel smug, snug and secure in my little house in Canada, my little world of routine. It's not one of the great wonders of the world so therefore it's safe. But is it really?
  Theendoftheworldasweknowit happens to people all the time because bombs have a way of falling on homes, hospitals and schools. Guns have a way of killing mothers, fathers, children, youth, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and the family dog. All because of our human need to control and oppress those who are different than us or who have something we want.
  The discovery of gun powder was quickly turned into a weapon, not just pretty fireworks.
  A quest for bigger and better weapons created the Gatling gun that massacred an entire African nation who were only armed with spears and courage. Those with the guns were regarded and honoured as heroes.
  Tanks, bombers, cruise missiles...chemicals, designer viruses...
  Distrust and suspicion built the atomic bomb.
  Hatred, ignorance, prejudice, fear...no natural disaster has ever generated the death toll that human hands have.
  We live in a world where disaster movies are playing all the time only...they...aren't... movies. They are real.
  God forgive me for my complacency. Forgive me for regarding others with distrust and suspicion. Forgive me my prejudices and judgements. Help me make my small place in the world better. Help me live in and through You. In Jesus' name I pray.
  As followers of Jesus, it is in our hands to change the world. He is our "geeky scientist" with the answer no matter what His maligners might say.
  That answer is love. AMEN!
  "Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." Jn 16:32-33
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...