Monday 21 November 2016

Visit by Susan L.

  Watching my granddaughter and grandson play hockey was the highlight of the weekend. Cold but wonderful. I have no idea why I hadn't packed my winter coat knowing a few hours were going to be spent at the arena! It was fun taking my grandson shopping for his birthday, too. And doing some artsy-craftsy stuff with my granddaughter. I got to spend some "just us" time with my son while the kids were out with their mom at a friend's. Every moment was a highlight and extra special!
  I drove home last night. With both parents teaching full time and trying to get the kids ready for school, it made sense to leave rather than add to Monday morning chaos. It was the first really nasty day of the season with blowing snow that made the road icy in patches. The first part of the journey is all wide open fields. The wind was ferocious, rocking the car back and forth. It was a two handed drive. I passed one car in the ditch with a tow truck on site so proceeded all the more cautiously. So glad I have snow tires!
  Once clear of the fields, the road gets hillier and there are more trees sheltering it which got rid of the snow streaming across the road. There was a section of dry roads before I entered into the snow belt. Even so, the tire paths were open and the road clearly visible so it wasn't that bad except for getting stuck behind a snow plow. But then, being stuck behind a snow plow is the safest place to be. I was less than an hour from home before it got completely dark which helped.
  There was flock after flock of snow buntings that swooped and settled at the road's edge. A couple of them had near death experiences before they flew clear of the car. They are a lovely white and buff bird who nest in the far north but migrate down during the winter. I don't normally see them at home because they prefer open fields so this was a treat. This was a far different sight than the moths and bugs which ran into my windshield on the way down, something that doesn't normally happen in November. It was unseasonably mild. Hmmm, maybe that's why I didn't pack my winter coat...
  It's still windy out there. The ground is covered with a blanket of snow. The car will need cleaning off before I head anywhere. I guess it's safe to say winter has arrived.
  "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." 1 Pet 5:6-7
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...