Saturday 8 October 2016

InkTober 2016 Week 1 by Susan L.

  This has been most enjoyable, taking the InkTober challenge. I am honoured to be in such talented company but, I discovered, after checking out on line what other artists are doing, that black ink lends itself to creating dark images. After catching up, which was done in this triple panel, I decided to use the provided prompts as a faith outreach opportunity; to shed a little light in the darkness.
  It's a good exercise for practicing listening as well. I lift the prompt word up in prayer, God is faithful to provide the inspiration.
  It's a nice way to shake off the monsters that appeared in art therapy.
  The cross was inspired by "hungry". Then came "sad" and "lost". The sea scene was created from the word "hidden". I don't know if using the fish symbol for Jesus to draw actual fish is perhaps the most respectful of ideas...I am glad the Lord has a sense of humour.
  The portrait of Peter, was prompted by "rock". It was the only image I used reference for. It was astounding how many online pictures there are of Jewish men. The only reason I looked was because different nationalities have different traits in their appearance.
  Being aware of using a photographed portrait that is someone else's work, I used the face of a young man with penetrating eyes as a starting point. By aging him and putting on the beard. It doesn't look anything like the original picture.
  I confess to cheating a bit by leaning the paper back before taking a photo of the drawing. It shortened his nose that for some reason seems to be an area I always end up drawing too long no matter whose portrait I am drawing!
  They say that most portrait artists include some aspect of their own face in the finished piece. I guess it's because it is the face we are most familiar with that it can't help creeping in. While my own nose isn't particularly long, it is rather slender (the only thing about me that is).
  Lord, thank You for Your inspiration as I have embarked on this journey. Thank You for providing the time to do each piece and the time I have had to practice and hone my skills.
  Mostly I thank You for the gift of art that is so much a part of who I am.
  "But now, O Lord, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You our potter; and all we are the work of Your hand." Is 64:8
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...