Saturday 15 October 2016

And I Weep by Susan L.

  After yesterday's blog, I realized I need to put my money where my mouth is so I went on line to research some charities. What I have to give is only a drop in the bucket but perhaps in the future, more can be done. Lord, I trust Your guidance on what that may be.
  The main focus of my search was finding out which charity has the most of each donated dollar actually going to those in need. Because they are registered charities, this info must be readily accessible to anyone. If it isn't, then something is amiss.
  I searched for those helping the Syrian refugees but came across one that also does work in Canada.
  We ought to be ashamed of ourselves that there is even the need, that one in four aboriginal children are living in conditions worse than those of the third world.

  Last night's news contained the terrible story that there were three teen suicides over two weeks at one reserve. One of the girls wasn't even a teen. She was twelve. A baby.
  What nightmare was this little girl's life that she believed this was her only option?

  There are issues far beyond money within aboriginal communities, but without having the basic needs of life met like food, clean water, and having a decent place to live, moving beyond survival, or being freed of addictions into actually living life cannot happen.
  It will take tremendous healing to recover from the wounds inflicted through the generations. It will take much to empower a people so long subjugated.
  Yes, there are churches who do mission trips up north and throughout the globe, taking basic necessities and creating a fun time for children. I question the damage they do. Well meaning people with the best of intentions come in bearing gifts, create a wonderful for time for a week or two then leave to go back to a life of wealth.
  And we are wealthy.
  I wonder if those left behind only feel their want even more once they've gone. What I am about to say may upset some people but personally, I think the practice of mission trips is cruel unless they are for a long period of time or are part of an extended commitment to make a difference.
  Jesus doesn't pour out His love on us then abandon us.
  Yet, because of my own work in the mental health field, I know change cannot happen unless a person wants that change. Which brings me back to the hopelessness of a twelve year old, baby girl. Change is born of hope. When hope doesn't exist...

  My choice ended up being "Save the Children", a charity that has been around since 1919. A whopping 92.5% of each donated dollar goes to help children around the globe including Syrian refugees, or those who are displaced by natural disasters like the hurricane that recently swept through Haiti and yes, they work in Canada.  
  While I don't have all the answers to complex problems and am at a loss about what else can be done for now, I can make sure that a few children have enough to eat, clean water to drink and have access to medical care. Again, Lord, I lift all this up to you.  
  Thank You for awakening a social conscience in me and reminding me that one voice can make a difference. Help me be that difference.
  "For God is not unjust to forget your work and labour of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Heb 6:10-11
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...