Wednesday 21 September 2016

Kejimkujik National Park by Susan L.

   Because I was further south along the eastern shore than originally planned, I took a different route to get across the province. Even so, it was still only a couple hours to get from Bridgewater to the Bay of Fundy. To be honest, the previous day's drive and stops had been enough of genteel and brightly coloured civilization. The trees and mountains of Cape Breton had filled me with a hunger for the natural world.
  So I decided to stop at Keji, as the locals call it, for a hike since it was now on the route across. Before getting there, the road cut through a massive area of charred forest, so fresh, it still smelled of charcoal. Nova Scotia, like Ontario, had an unusually dry summer so everything was tinder dry. The fire had happened only days before I arrived in the area.
  Because I only had time to sample the park, I asked the woman at the entrance kiosk which was the nicest trail. She suggested I do the "Hardwoods and Hemlocks" trail after stopping by to check out the waterfall near the entrance. The waterfall was beautiful albeit small due to the drought. My timing meant there was a tour bus full of passengers checking out the scenery as well. I didn't stay long before heading for the trail entrance.
  The trail was deep inside the park. I startled a doe walking up the gravel road. She startled me as she slipped into the woods. She immediately started grazing so I was able to watch her for a few moments. Deer are so beautiful and she seemed extra dainty after seeing the moose in Cape Breton.
  The loop trail was fairly easy rolling hills and about five K long. The boardwalk was built to protect the Hemlock tree roots. It was so refreshing to be away from any sound of civilization. The library quiet, with the exception of a few twittering birds, was refreshing.
  There was a section of towering white pines. The information plaque said that even though they were big, they were second growth and only about eighty years old. The pines could live to more than three times that age.
  Like the ancient woods of Cape Breton, there was little to no undergrowth only this time it was caused by the acidic nature of Hemlocks. They poison the soil so no other tree can grow where they are. Eventually, they take over nearby mixed forests as their branches spread and their offspring move in.
  It was a lovely hike. No sign of bears even though they are in the park. I'd been assured that they were more scared of me.
  The deer had moved off but a family of beautiful white and gray birds flitted along side the road. They would be a new addition to my life, bird watching list only I didn't know what they were.
  There were picnic tables along the main park road offering views of the river. I made a sandwich, and munched some carrot and celery sticks dipped in hummus before pulling out to continue my trip west.
  I decided to stop at the visitor centre before leaving the park to purchase a park badge. It's something I've been doing for each park visited when they are available. It was important for me to identify the birds I'd seen as well while their appearance was fresh in my mind. Turns out they were Gray Jays. A shy bird but a stealthy campsite pilferer. It seems I was "lucky" to have seen them.
  Pulling into the parking lot, a ranger and several people were scouring the area. A nest of baby snapping turtles had just hatched but they had to cross the parking lot to get to the water. A few had already been killed by cars pulling in so they were desperate to save as many as they could.
  While I was inside, the ranger came in with this little fellow. She patiently waited for me to run to the car to get my camera. The woman at the check out put down the toonie to give some idea of how tiny he was. After the monster snapper I'd seen earlier this summer, it's hard to believe this little one will reach that size!
  The couple of hours spent in the park was a refreshing break and full of sights I would not have otherwise seen. I'd gladly revisit it to do some camping and visit some of the other trails.
  Next stop: the Bay of Fundy.
  "I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Ps 4:8
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...