Wednesday 31 August 2016

Home Again by Susan L.

  I had a great time in Sarnia over the last few days. It was wonderful to spend some time with the grandkids. It was even more wonderful to witness what amazing parents they have. My son had painted toenails in a variety of colours because his four year old daughter wanted to paint his nails. He smiled and said that if he was anywhere important, socks would cover them anyways so what's the harm. (Sorry, son, had to share!)
  They are tough on what they call screen time. Playing video games means no TV later or vice versa. It's a good policy. The kids set the house up as a hotel. My grandson invented a hockey based board game. (He's a hockey nut!) There's tons of story time or time spent drawing. They spend lots of time outside tree climbing, sprinkler splashing, and playing with the neighbouring children.
  It's nice that they are so close to the beach as well. It's walkable but by the time all the kit is gathered together, unless we had a pack mule, it's easier to drive. For us land locked folks, beach time is a day trip. They can pop over for a quick swim whenever they like. Nice!
  They have an inflatable paddle board so I had a chance to test drive one. I had thought it would be a good thing to have when camping instead of a kayak or a canoe but hadn't realized there were inflatable ones. They don't take up as much room to store or transport. It's definitely something to start saving my pennies for. I could even paddle it around the lake across the road which might be easier than the windblown surf of a Great Lake.
  My lack of athleticism created much laughter as the waves of Lake Huron made it difficult to get on the thing! I did a wonderful butt plant into the shallows, feet reaching for the sky. Good thing I was wearing a life jacket! Yup. Laughter at my own ineptness and a gasp at the coolness of the water. Which it was until the body got used to it. After that experience, standing on the board seemed a bit ambitious. Instead I knelt to get used to balancing and paddling at the same time. It didn't take long for my legs to feel the strain. It's a great workout! The brief time I spent on it left my thighs quivering like jelly.
  The second time out was much better. I didn't even need my son to hold it for me until I got on!
  It's good to be home. There's half a dozen ripe tomatoes waiting for some bacon and toast.
  There's much to celebrate in simple pleasures isn't there?
  "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Ps 27:1
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...