Thursday 25 August 2016

Coming Together by Susan L

  It feels as though this leg of my journey is drawing to a close. God has been graciously showing me what lay in the big, black box since I asked about it back in July. The cube test, as it's called, was thought up by a well known psychoanalyst. The box is supposed to represent ego. There's been many Triple T's about ego. Culturally, having an ego is equivalent to being arrogant or conceited. It's not. That's a whole separate issue. Ego is identity and a sense of self-worth. So, yes, arrogance and conceit can be part of this if the Source of that worth is put aside.
  I've finally come to realize I don't have to fit into anyone else's "box" about what my life should look like. I don't have to live according to another's thoughts about what is best for me. There's no need to submit to the pressure of conforming to those ideas. I don't have to supress who I am to please another human being. I don't have to "fit in" any more.
  I am free. I thank the Lord for having placed people in my life who have helped me reach this place of understanding.
  The foundation of my identity, my worth, is in Christ and Christ alone. He'll make sure to help me live up to His high standards. Is there room for growth? Always! Is there room for improvement? Always! But, He is such a gentle Teacher, all I want is to please Him. All I want is to be more like Him.
  Does that mean sometimes having to take a stand? Yup. Is this wrong? Nope.
  Does it mean I have to justify my actions and choices to anyone? Nope. Although actions and choices need to be made prayerfully, by submitting to the Lord's guidance. There's room for improvement there.
  Does this mean I might hurt someone? Yes. Never willfully or with intent to harm. Does it mean I am sorry? A most definite yes! Hold on a second...being sorry is the wrong way to put it. Perhaps being sad is a better way to put it. Help me discern, Lord, when I need to be sorry for something.
  Being sad about a situation doesn't mean I have to supress who I am to make someone happy. Making people happy sucks the life out of me. It's a black hole because it's impossible to make someone happy if they aren't ready to embrace the idea that happiness is a mind set, an attitude...an expression of gratitude. (There's a poem in there somewhere!)
  Does this mean I wouldn't do something that could bring joy to another? No way! That's a fundamental part of who I am. Where joy is planted, happiness will soon follow.
   Lord, stop me from slipping back into the old ways in Jesus' name I pray.
  "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord." Eph 5:8-10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...