Friday 29 July 2016

Challenge by Susan L.

  One of the activities of the bus tour is a seven kilometer hike...oh, boy. I am definitely not in shape for that kind of physical activity so the task over the next month is to get walking. After doing a short three K hike up in Grundy, it took a couple of days to recover. Not a good sign even if it did involve a whole lot of climbing. Cape Breton is even more hilly.
  It has to do with my health being so poor since Christmas and spending most of the time on the couch. I am finally much better but find myself fatigued rather easily. Perhaps it's safe to say it takes time to recover from infection after infection.
  And I smile as yet another ghoul finds its way into my life.
  So. How do I make this happen?
  We're supposed to wear good shoes with plenty of ankle support. Those aren't in my wardrobe except for a pair of steel toed work boots that weigh a ton. Something lighter would probably be better. Breaking in a new pair of hiking boots would be a good plan. The last thing that's needed is blisters. (Note to self, pack a small first aid kit.)
  I was thinking, too, about taking some sort of walking stick. They cut the fatigue level in half when hiking by simply assisting balance or offering support when climbing. I wonder if there's a collapsible stick out there that would fit in a suitcase.
  I'll check out both these things after work today. The sooner I get walking, the better and if I walk every day, rain or shine, there should be a huge improvement by the end of August.
  "I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken. Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad; moreover my flesh also will rest in hope." Acts 2:25-26
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...