Tuesday 28 June 2016

Little Things by Susan L.

  There were a couple of magic moments for me on Sunday besides playing the games. Witnessing some of the youth leap up to help the tug of war team that, due to luck of the draw was mostly children, take on the he-man team; to help the little ones have a chance. It didn't matter the team they were on, the imbalance didn't seem fair.
  We also played a game of musical chairs with a twist. We started out one chair short with one person standing. Instead of removing chairs when someone didn't find a seat, those people had to sit, sliding from chair to chair in the opposite direction of the people walking around waiting for the music to stop. It was a neat way of including everyone in the game even if they were "out".
  It was hot and thirsty work. We had played this physically demanding game upstairs in the barn where there was absolutely no breeze. Afterwards, people headed to the containers of water and lemonade. There were no cups left. A young girl tried to bend under it and pour it directly into her mouth. She didn't have much luck because the table was in the way so I helped by holding the jug and pouring it for her. It made me think of the Orioles as she opened her mouth for sips of the juice. All that was missing was the demanding, "Feed me!" cheep.
  When the Freezies came out, the kids were like a duck on a June bug. This big duck was pretty quick to get in line, too! There was a little fellow who chose his flavour and took the scissors to open his icy treat but seemed a bit lost. I asked if he'd like me to cut it open for him. He passed me the scissors with a look of relief. Memories of doing this for my own kids made it extra special.
  There's some take out from all of this. I suppose there needs to be some forgiving, some letting go of the crap that stops me from simply having fun. You know...the age "rules", the gender "rules", the "primandproper" ideologies...but mostly? It's the sadness that life beat the fun, the carefree spirit, out of me.
  I think I can set a goal: (gasp) to laugh more, to play more, to embrace joy in all its many facets, to be unafraid of making a fool of myself, to break the "rules". Well, that's actually five! (another gasp) With God's help, they will become an intrinsic part of my life.
  "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1:17
 
 

1 comment:

  1. As I've aged, and grown spiritually, and learned to accept myself more, I think the best laughter I've attained is the ability to laugh at myself. It's almost a tangible relief to not have to take myself so seriously! But after all, it is a type of freedom... freedom from pride.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...