Sunday 19 June 2016

Dry, So Dry by Susan L.

  We are in desperate need of some rain. The earth in the flowerbeds is like dust even with bi-nightly watering. The grass is turning brown as well. I hope we get some before going camping next month. It wouldn't be so great if there's a fire ban on. Campfires are such a key part of the experience. I pray it doesn't rain all the time we're away making up for missed opportunities!
  I was chatting with my mom last night, travelling down memory lane about childhood camping experiences. She'd gotten a laugh about the inchworm and my dad. As we chatted, I remembered more.
  When we lived down east, having a lobster dinner while camping and ice cream for dessert. It was astonishing to watch my dad eat his entire pint of the sweet, icy treat. Fishing with a piece of string, a safety pin and a chunk of hot dog where I could see the fish but they wouldn't take the bait. Catching an eel one time and it was the only other time I saw my dad freak out besides the inchworm. Going pier fishing and dad locking the keys in the trunk. There were a whole lot of kids watching as he broke in via a coat hangar, pulled out the back seat (before back seats folded down) and had my brother worm his way in to find the keys.
  Fishing. I really enjoy fishing. It's not something I think to do very often but perhaps it might be fun to start up again. There's three rods in the basement and a tackle box just waiting for the opportunity. There's a lot to learn though. Dad always looked after tying hooks on and I am unfamiliar with the types of edible fish, what season they can be caught and the rest of the details. I'd need a licence, too. Easy enough to get.
  Maybe when we go camping I'll pack a rod. They don't take up much room. I can do my research on the internet beforehand. Our site is near the water so it may mean there's a place to cast a line without going anywhere. Wouldn't it be nice to have a fresh fish supper? And a trip to the store afterwards for ice cream? Ahhh, the simple joys in life.
  "And Abraham called the name of the place, The-Lord-Will-Provide; as it is said to this day, "In the Mount of the Lord it shall be provided." Gen 22:14
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...