Wednesday 13 April 2016

Speeding by Susan L.

  For those of you who may not have read the recent post where I mentioned being corrected, this is what happened: the Lord had asked me why I felt it was okay to speed through other people's neighbourhoods yet wanted to take action to stop those who sped through mine. So, properly convicted, I've slowed down out of respect for my Father's wishes and others. Obeying the law of the land is part of it as well because slowing down when a police car is visible means I know what I am doing. It is wrong.
  It isn't easy. It makes me nervous when people race past unless it's a multi-lane highway. Having a car directly behind me where it feels like it wants to climb into my back seat makes me nervous. Should a deer or something else create a need to suddenly stop...crunch! Then the others following so close to them would crunch, crunch, crunch as well!
  At one point there was quite a line up behind me.
  (As Will Smith said in the movie "After Earth", "Fear is rooted in the future." Wise words from a bit of sci-fi entertainment. It's about battling monsters that smell our fear. Sound familiar?)
  My speed increased a little bit after convincing myself that doing the posted limit wasn't safe. There was even a struggle about the other drivers' anger directed my way. I could almost hear them swearing and name calling. Even so, those half dozen kilometers per hour over the limit were expensive.  
  Compromise felt like betrayal.
  Maybe that's because it is.
  Pointing fingers and saying "They made me do it" doesn't hold water. Whining about how much longer it takes to get anywhere isn't a valid reason to go against my word or break the law either.
  I am in good company though. It happens time and again in the Bible. Yet the beauty is that God used these compromising men and women to bring all of humanity into the place where we, you and I, can say, "Forgive me, Lord."
  And we are forgiven without fines or penalties.
  "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father and He will reward each according to his works." Mat 16:26-27
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Speeding is one of those issues that I don't think we can be legalistic about, for instance by saying to ourselves "I am always going to drive no faster than the speed limit". Being a safe driver is our first responsibility, and sometimes that means driving slower than the speed limit, and sometimes that may mean driving faster than the speed limit in order to keep traffic flowing smoothly. It is less safe to stay at the speed limit when everyone wants to drive slightly over it, and have a long lineup of angry drivers. In those circumstances I will drive over the limit, to the extent that I feel comfortable (usually no more than 10 over) and safe (which is affected by the type of highway, the amount of traffic, the weather conditions, and my fatigue level, etc.). I do not doubt that God is understanding, and forgiving if necessary. I often say a quick prayer to God for wisdom in decision-making and to help my reflexes, and to my guardian angel to keep me and those around me safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying. And yes, there are times when a momentary burst of speed or driving slower due to road conditions are warranted. I'm talking about an average trip on good roads.
      I could have pulled over to let the other cars pass when it was safe to do so as a courtesy to them. I've had other "slow" drivers do that for me and it made my day! It might also mean taking back roads if the highway speed is too fast and it's dangerous to drive the limit.
      That way I am not compromising my own conviction in this matter. It is not being legalistic! I am respecting the laws of the land and therefore honouring God. I wouldn't break into a house for the same reason.
      This is about living in and through faith, without compromise, and having Christ as my cornerstone. That means all the time.
      I know I can never attain such high standards on my own. I don't even want to try. That would only make me hard and cruel and unjust and impatient and judgemental and...and...tied in knots by all the rules.
      What I am doing is surrendering, willing to admit when I am wrong, and in doing so giving the Lord a chance to do a work in my heart. I want to be a vessel of His overflowing love.
      There's still a long way to go and speeding is just the beginning. Thank You, Lord, for Your unending and patient grace.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and regarding the vehicles that fly by on your road, it could be that the speed limit is not the problem (which is the responsibility of the Township), it could be enforcement is the issue (which is the responsibility of the police). A phone call to the police complaining about the excess (really excess!) speed of some of the vehicles on your road is warranted.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...