Monday 18 April 2016

A Little Trip by Susan L.

  After church I went to my mom and step-dad's for a visit. We spent some time sorting out where we might like to stay in PEI. My daughter is getting married there next year so we wanted to make sure we were at the head of the line for a rental. We picked a cottage right on the ocean or should I say on one of the red cliffs that are the hallmark of the province. There's stairs going down to the beach.
  Our plan is to drive down together then I'll fly home. My folks will leisurely wind their way back to Ontario.
  My own drive home northward on the back roads was lovely. With worship music playing, the pavement before me straight as an arrow for miles and miles, and the cruise control set at the speed limit, I was able to enjoy the setting sun.
  It was a feast for the eyes. Streaks of butter cream, mango, and tangerine stretched across the western sky. It was painstakingly adorned by the hand of a Master with fanciful swirls of birthday cake icing in mauve, pink and baby blue. Easter egg turquoise gradually deepened into a rich plum with the fading light.
  The window was down to enjoy the balmy, evening air. It's a real treat and a great antidote for cabin fever. Choruses of spring peeper frogs announced every pond or wetland the road passed by. Their whistling calls wove a counter melody to the worship songs.
  Red-winged blackbirds, starlings, a cardinal, a blue jay sang lullabies to the sun as it went to bed.
  It was the hour for deer so it meant paying particular attention to the side of the road for safety's sake. Sure enough, as I drove through some meadowlands ideal for grazing, a pair of scrawny does were quietly nibbling some of the new, sweet grass that has begun to make an appearance. They were a delight to see. I stopped for a moment to watch them but the watcher was watched with a great deal of suspicion so I left quickly. They needed this feast to put on some weight after the long winter's scant dining.
  I am so thankful that the Lord has asked me to slow down because in the rush to get from here to there, so much beauty is missed.
  "What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take up the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord." PS 116:12-13
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...