Tuesday 1 March 2016

New Projects by Susan L.

  Yesterday was spent in the basement, aka workshop, building a story box for my granddaughter. It will contain supplies for writing and illustrating her very own tales. It comes with a massive cast iron key to unlock the imagination (purchased from a local antique store).
  It still needs to be painted (purple), hinges installed, a hasp put on and handles to carry it by. It's a bit heavy for little hands. A swing by a local new and used building supply store should provide those.
  There's been some pondering about what to put on the top. Her brother's box, made a couple of years ago, had the words "Once Upon a Time" painted on it. I want to come up with a different story beginning. Perhaps "In a Land Far Away" or "Once There Was". The top isn't that big so it needs to be fairly short. It'd be nice to avoid too many round letters because they are a pain to paint. Or maybe it needs to have the same thing written on it. There's no hurry to decide.
  I have started to gather the materials to build the glass topped display table as well. It's the one I've been musing about for the hall that sits on the old cast iron sewing machine base. The "rustic" one really needs to be replaced. The dollar store had mirrors the perfect size for the bottom of the drawers. A bundle of pine siding, the perfect thickness for the drawer sides, sits waiting. There's enough of that to practice doing interlocking corners, something I've never done before.
  Maybe the second hand store will have drawer runners the right size. The piece of glass for the top will have to be custom cut.
  I am thankful that the Lord has enabled me to gradually gather the tools needed for any large or small building project. I am thankful He blessed me with opportunities to learn the skills. I am thankful for having the internet, a great resource. I am thankful that there's enough fear of  power tools to make me especially careful. I am most grateful for the joy working with wood brings to my heart.
  But most of all, the smell of sawdust creates a connection with another Carpenter, the master builder of hearts and minds.
  "And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes shall never hunger and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." Jn 6:35
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...