Friday 26 February 2016

Project Thinking by Susan L.

  I've shared my idea for the "little books of comfort" with a few friends. The response has been very encouraging. Part of me was concerned that there are downloadable apps that offer the same sort of idea at a finger swipe. But then, there's something grounding about having a tangible object to hold.
  One of my learned friends told me that having a book uses different parts of the brain than are used by simply swiping a finger across a screen. More senses are ignited holding a book. It helps in focusing when touch is a huge part of that process.
  It's an encouraging thought.
  Hmmm, I wonder if it would be possible to include a textural page that could simply be touched to help with grounding? Maybe the cover could be textural. I know the leather cover of my Bible has helped me on many occasions when opening it up was simply too much to handle. Financially, leather is out of the question, but perhaps a linen textured cover is possible.
  There's so much to think about but strangely, I am not overwhelmed by it all.
  I've been thinking too, about the writing part of it. Most of the books aimed at helping people contain words like "you need to do this" or "you should do that" as though the writer is lecturing, as though they know best. The "you" word can often end up being a burden especially when "you" can't! At least not at that moment. What I'd like to do is write it as though I was sitting next to whoever has the book. It'd be like sharing their burdens. There's something powerful in the "we".
  At this point, I also need to think about size. The illustrations need to be drawn according to that scale. The writing needs to be geared to page size, too. Small is good but not too small. It might be a good idea to wander through a book store with a measuring tape to get some idea of standard sizes. Using a common size would help in publishing costs if I decide to self publish. Scale could make it more attractive for a publisher to take on also.
  It also has occurred to me whether or not to gear these books to gender. Writing one for women would be easy seeing as I am one. Could I do another one aimed at men? I am sure God would give me the words.
  Like a stew on the back burner, everything is simmering away nicely.
  "And when they had mocked Him, they took the robe off Him, put His own clothes on Him, and led Him away to be crucified. Now as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name. Him they compelled to bear His cross." Mat 27:31-32
 
   
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...