Saturday 27 February 2016

Fingerless Mitts by Susan L.

  The knitting kick is still going strong. The internet has proven to be a wonderful resource because not only are there free patterns but there's plenty of YouTube videos showing how to knit. I learned how to attach yarn when one ball runs out from a video posted by a yarn company. I learned how to create a gusset or a neat, clean way to add left hand and right hand stitches for a thumb hole. The fingerless mitts of my choice were done on straight needles and sewn together. Working with four needles was often frustrating because they had a habit of falling out. Oh, I learned how to sew knitting together so the seam doesn't show.
  I still get a bit confused about which side to cast off which means taking the knitting off the needle with a neat, clean edge. That's okay. It will come.
  It seems funny to knit mitts with no fingers but when I am working in the garden in the early spring or late fall, it is often chilly. The cheap, knitted gloves ten to fray at the fingertips because they were not manufactured for hard labour. There's a part of me that loves feeling the earth anyways. Even though fingers are exposed, having the glove cover the rest of my hand keeps it warm. So, fingerless mitts are ideal.
  Ahh, the garden. I can't wait!
  "You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." Ps 65:11
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...