Monday 25 January 2016

Dreams, As In Hopes by Susan L.

  God sized dreams are what the last few sermons at church have been about. They have been via video as we explore one of the churches on our list of those we may end up affiliating with. A good sermon stretches us and they've left me feeling stretched.
  I am thinking that the word "dreams" could actually mean finding our purpose in Christ, our calling in other words.
  And here is where the trouble lies. Dreaming about the future, as I've shared before, is mostly foreign to me. Even though yesterday's post was about a hoped for/planned for trip out east, it's a rare occasion that I dare to even think about the future. I know the reasons which have been shared before. Trauma has a way of suffocating tomorrow. As does betrayal and all the bad things in this world. They are powerful tools of the enemy, aren't they? Weapons whose sole purpose is to stop us from becoming all we could be in Christ.
  I've spent a long time simply putting one foot in front of the other when simply getting through the long, dark days was sufficient of itself. Maybe it's time to stop living like that. Or should I say existing. Maybe it's time to think about what the future could bring. Maybe it's time to pray about discovering what God's plans are for my life. Maybe it's time to let go of some fear (and there's grief there as well). The sermon left me incredibly sad yet, at the same time, seeds of hope have been planted that maybe, just maybe, there's something out there waiting for me.
  So what would I like to see? Deeper connections with people. That came through yesterday's post. It's a good place to start. Lord, I'll need Your help with that. Help me be less guarded.
  So what would God like to see?
  I don't have an answer yet but, Lord, I'll be listening with every fibre of my being. Help me discover my God sized dream. Help me let go of all the garbage that is stopping me from living out Your plan for my life. In Jesus' name I pray.
  "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." Mat 7:7-8
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I think that too often when Christians speak of knowing God's plan/dream/purpose for their lives, they speak mainly about things they should be doing. "Should I be doing this or that job? Should I be involved in this or that ministry? Should I be helping this or that person today?". These are the things "out there" as you refer to them. This is a secondary issue.

    The primary thing that God wants for us is communion with Him. The fuller our communion with Him is, the more our personal wholeness develops - spirit, mind, and body. The more we are filled with His Love, the more that Love will be spilled out into love... back to God; towards others; and for ourselves. THEN we are more fully equipped to accomplish things God would be pleased for us to accomplish.

    God's dreams for us have to start with Who We Are, before What We Do matters. And Who We Are starts with our relationship to Him. In my humble opinion, that is the start (and the end) of the most important task we have. And working on Who We Are can take place whether or not What We Do is something we believe God has asked us to do. So we don't have to wait for some kind of divine revelation about what we should be doing... we just have to focus on communion with God, and everything else will fall into place. The thing God would like to see is right under our noses, there is no need to go searching.

    What was broken in the Garden of Eden was mankind's communion with God. What Jesus came to restore was mankind's communion with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. As I read your comments I realized that dreaming about the future isn't as important as I thought it was. It's more important that we are able to discern the Lord's voice and be obedient when He calls. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was called to be in the worship team even though that role was waaay outside my comfort zone. It was a sacrifice to obey. God knew that making music in a group would become a joy to my heart and bring joy to those who listen.

      Delete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...