Sunday 6 September 2015

Where is Trust? by Susan L.

  In thinking about all this, I realized that trust is already a huge part of my life. Whenever I get in the car and go somewhere, trusting it will start and that I'll arrive safely at my destination. Crossing the road is sort of the same idea although making sure it's safe is something we are taught from babes. "Look both ways." Which on the one-way street where the centre is seems silly but there have been cars come the wrong way.
  Then coming home, trusting the house will be there. There's house insurance just in case it isn't.
  Eating prepared food from a can. The trust is in the manufacturer that it was prepared properly so there's no chance of food poisoning. Tap water, too, although there have been instances where it has been contaminated. There's a trust in both manufacturers and government employees that if there is an issue, the public will be warned.
  Even flicking a light switch on. We are blessed to live in a country where the power rarely goes out. It does occasionally which is why I have a back-up generator.
  Cutting the grass or using power tools also have an element of trust although maintaining those tools as well as being careful and alert is prudent. Trust is not the same as being aware of danger or believing we can ignore those dangers at our own peril.
  But these are all worldly things and even though the trust is there, there appear to be conditions surrounding that trust.
  It's no wonder we have such a difficult time trusting in the Lord.
  Yet, as I reflect upon the past, He placed people in my life when I needed them and continues to do so. He made sure my physical needs were met. That hasn't stopped. He has blessed me with countless little gifts that have come my way just when I needed them. One of them was a laundry tub! Nothing was too big or too small for Him. Every time my heart gives a little leap of gratitude.
  There needs to be some more work on that heart, Lord. Thy will be done. Amen!
  Well, look at that: a prayer of trust! There's some hope for me after all! :)
  "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." Mat 7:7-8
  
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. For me, the biggest test of trust is, do I still trust in the goodness of God, even when I am not experiencing it? Job is a great example of this.

    But this does not mean that we won't experience God's goodness at some time. In order to ask for something, we will have already experienced it, even if just a little (a teaching from Pope Leo I - 5th Century). Your prayer asking for a more trusting heart is proof that you already have one. And a prayer like yours is in keeping with God's Will, so He will most certainly grant it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust. This is my thorn in my side. I can identify with your struggle. I was betrayed as a child by those who should protect me, by a man associated with a church, the person I married, so trust is not easy to come by in my heart and head. I am trying to learn to trust, to do so by obedience, not by feeling. I am trying to embrace that everything in my life is either allowed or directed by God. It is not easy, for when bad things happened you don't like to think that God allowed it. If He is sovereign, which He is, then everything filters through His loving fingers. Yet I am being prepared for eternal things, values. I also can see that the things I already have been through have, through the grace of God, made me more empathetic and hopefully bring glory to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What amazing faith!
      One of the most powerful scriptures that has helped me learn to lean into the Lord is the promise found in Joel 2:25
      "So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the crawling locust, the consuming locust, the chewing locust."
      I hope they bring you some comfort.

      Delete
  3. As difficult as it is to understand and accept, the evil done to us is another proof of God's love for mankind, for in that love He has made us free. Unfortunately, some persons will use that freedom to choose evil. This is the price we all pay for living in a fallen world. But it doesn't mean that God loves us any less.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...