Friday 18 September 2015

Teacher by Susan L.

  Today is my art group. We've switched from acrylic painting to working in pen and ink, one of my favorite mediums. Facilitating the art program is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job and brings me great pleasure. There's something indescribably wonderful about planting seeds of ability and seeing newly found gifts bloom.
  Pen and ink is incredibly versatile and comes in a variety of different tools that can create a wide array of effects. There's the classic pen nib and ink pot. I like using a sharpened twig dipped in ink to create landscapes. It has a natural feel to it because the lines aren't a uniform weight. It does mean surrendering some control because sometimes the ink does its own thing. They aren't mistakes, it's organic!
  There's gel pens and ballpoint, each with it's own unique look. There's micro fine technical pens as well for those who prefer extreme detail. Using a brush loaded with water to paint over the lines softens them and like using an ink wash (ink diluted with water), helps add depth to whatever is being drawn. Not all commercial pens bleed when wet, it's a matter of finding out which does.
  Different paper can also add something to ink works. Bristol board is nice to work on because of its smooth finish. There are papers available at art supply stores specifically for working with ink but I like to save a penny where possible.
  I've found doing a picture step by step with everyone doing the same thing is an effective teaching method. I think today we'll do a landscape with an old barn (another favorite subject). We'll utilize ink washes to add atmosphere: a stormy sky in the background.
  I can't wait to see what unfolds!
  "Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman; and I was daily His delight, rejoicing always before Him, rejoicing in His inhabited world, and my delight was with the sons of men." Prov 8:30-31
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...