Tuesday 15 September 2015

One Voice by Susan L.

  The CEO of our local hospital is forming a volunteer Patient and Family Council in order to better serve the community. It's unusual for a small, rural hospital to have a forum like this which speaks volumes about its forward thinking leadership. There was an ad in the paper asking for applications so I decided to apply. I got a phone call yesterday asking if I'd come in for an interview.
  I am hoping to be accepted as an advocate for mental health. Thankfully work has endorsed this so I will also be a representative of the Krasman Centre.
  My own mental health experiences with the staff there haven't been too good once I was a repeat visitor. Although, there are some shining stars within the staff. Time and again I've heard stories about the harsh and callous treatment towards those who only go to the emergency department as a last resort. The ER is often the only local resource for people who are struggling. This is especially true for people who lack transportation or the funds to find help elsewhere.
  Can one voice make a difference?
  You bet it can.
  Huh. Could that be confidence?
  Yup. A confidence based on first hand knowledge. I've had feedback from my newspaper column affirming its value.  
  Years ago I spearheaded a battle against a large, industrial cattle farm that had moved into the area. It was successful because the township listened, as did the various government ministries involved. It started out as an esthetic issue but as my knowledge grew, it became a health and environmental one. (The impact of this type of farming is staggering!) It took a few years but eventually bi-laws were put in place capping the 3000 head operation. Neighbouring townships followed suit.
  So, Lord, use my voice as a champion for those who are unable to speak. Help me find the words. Grant me strength for the interview. In Jesus' Name I pray.
  "To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice." Prov 21:3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...