Tuesday 1 September 2015

Echoes by Susan L.

  Someone was talking with me and I have no idea how the conversation ended up with them telling me about someone they knew: a young man living on social assistance. The person telling me about him made the comment, "I don't understand, he was brought up better than that. Work ethics had been instilled in him from childhood!" (Slight paraphrasing)
  I was flabbergasted and didn't know what to say without revealing that I was partially assisted by government disability payments. (Was it shame or discretion?) Without them I wouldn't have gotten where I am today or even be able to help others get over the stigma of needing assistance.
  I heard my own judgements in his statement. That same mentality made it extremely difficult for me to even apply for the assistance. I remember commenting to my therapist that never in a million years did I imagine I'd grow up and have to put out my hand for financial help, to become one of those people.
  The hardest part was accepting the fact that I was unable to work. That "can't" had become part of my vocabulary. It was also difficult accepting that even filling out the paperwork required the help of my mental health worker. It was a long, slow process because at the time even deciding what to have for supper threw me into a whirlwind of anxiety. We filled out the numerous, probing pages a bit at a time as I was able. It took months.
  To the fury of my psychiatrist who had filled out the medical part, the application was denied. I sent a letter of intent to appeal. My file was reviewed and approved. Part of me strongly believes that the denial is simply routine. There are probably many people who give up, who are simply unable to take it to the next step or lack the supports to make that happen.
  I'd like to have a candid conversation with the man who made the comment. Living on social assistance is challenging. Living below the poverty level takes careful managing of finances. There is often barely enough to cover rent never mind buying groceries or paying a hydro bill. If you are lucky enough to live in geared-to-income housing, the payments are even less. The food bank in town does a roaring business.
  In saying all this, gratitude sweeps over me. Yes, it's tough. This is an expensive country to live in. But now that I am able to work a bit, with careful managing of my finances, I have just enough to get by and still have a few luxuries like a car. Although in this country it is more of a necessity unless you live in a place with public transit where the cost of living is even high. Thank You, Lord, for Your provision.
  I also believe that I am not alone in coming to terms with needing help. The majority of people I meet wish their circumstances were different, that life was different. That somehow they could be well enough to provide for themselves. I pray for healing for all of them.
  "When you give a dinner or a supper, do not ask your friends, your brothers, your relatives, nor rich neighbours, lest they also invite you back and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just." Lk 14:12-14
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I hope you can resist letting this man's comments make you feel defensive. He probably doesn't have all the facts, and is therefore generalizing, which is an unfair attitude we must all avoid. Not all social assistance recipients are unworthy of it, but not all have your integrity either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy - could I relate to what you were saying. The stigma of being on disability is almost as hard to bear as the disability itself. Especially when it is not totally visible. An acquaintance of mine, who has hid himself away for 20 years because he was on disability for mental issues, finally reached 65. He was overjoyed that he could say he was "retired" rather than say he was on disability. He actually felt better for it. Those on disability have so much to bear. Forms, like you mention, is just part of it (plus the paying for them to be completed). There are all the appointments, arranging transportation, medication expense, trying to get good nutrition on limited budget, sleeping issues....on and on. Then folks feel they can just pile on guilt for good measure. We will be held accountable for every careless word that comes from our mouths. I too have met folks that seem to be using the system, but to spend countless hours and time and money trying to weed out the few - means the rest suffer. Those in need. Those that would not have made it through a day, week, month or year without help. Let us be careful not to paint all with the same brush. God is the only just and righteous judge, we are not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not having had to apply for assistance, I can't relate. I'm happy to see this blog enables people to share similar experiences. You all have my sympathy for what you have had to endure. And I'm glad I live in a country that tries to help the less fortunate. But I'm not sure whether sympathy is the point here. I think a bigger issue is society's attitudes, and individual wholeness. It's hard, if not impossible, to change other people, although it's worth trying. I would think the most successful changes are brought about by kind enlightenment of the other person's preconceived ideas (that's why I hope S. can resist defensiveness). A kind approach is best achieved by individual wholeness. And individual wholeness is best facilitated by being grounded in the fact that God loves us. It's not easy to shrug off the attitudes of others towards us, but that is one outcome of spiritual union with God.

    Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More to the point was my own reaction. Their words opened the door to a series of powerful emotional flashbacks. The process of applying for help was as traumatic as finding myself in hospital following a mental collapse. I am also troubled by feeling I could only be less than honest with this person. Why the need for silence?
    Truly there is nothing to be ashamed of. I believe this is much bigger than just needing disability.
    Lord, I open my heart to You. The rawness of the opened wounds can only be healed by You and Your grace. Help me forgive those who made choices that impacted my health and well being. Help me forgive myself, too, for my own prejudices and attitudes. In Jesus' name I pray.
    Thank you both for commenting. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romans 8:28 New International Version (NIV)

      And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

      Delete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...