Sunday 2 August 2015

Shoe Shelf by Susan L.

  The centre needed a better way of storing slippers for visitors. We ask that people remove their shoes and boots if the weather is messy. My co-worker bought a bunch of plastic crocs for general use and to replace the rather worn footwear we have provided. They are easy to keep clean and can be disinfected. The existing shoe rack is rather uncooperative. Slippers leap off of it all the time so I decided to build a shelf.
  It's like a mail sorting box with individual slots for pairs of crocs. There's enough room for twenty-four pairs of various sizes. Needless to say, I enjoyed building it. Being in the cool basement was a nice break from the heat.
  I used my new router for the first time to cut grooves in the sides so the thinner shelving material would be supported better. I took a couple of moments to practice with it on a piece of scrap and to find out where the blade cuts in regard to the base. This was important because I attached guide boards so the grooves were straight. Routering out a straight line without them is near impossible. Even so, there were a couple of lines that wandered a bit when the guide board popped off. Those little mistakes are hidden near the back and don't affect the overall appearance. It's just part of the learning curve. And it's good practice.
  I'd like to build a small drawer/display unit to replace the rather rustic one that currently sits atop an old treadle sewing machine base. Doubling as a hall table, it displays my shell collection, a few fossils found here in Ontario and various other small souvenirs from other trips. It would be nice to have interchangeable drawers to change things up now and again. I'd still keep the glass top only instead of using fragile picture frame glass I'd have a thicker piece cut to fit. It's more of a winter project though so it can wait.
  Yup, one of my great joys is being downstairs making sawdust.
  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Prov 9:10
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Susan, every time you speak of a project, or craft, or helping someone with a project - I am in awe. You get so much done. Some days it is all I can do to have a shower, and many days I don't. It is encouraging to hear how much you are able to accomplish. I rejoice with you. How deftly you touch other folks lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has touched my heart. Please, read today's post. Aug 4.

      Delete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...