Friday 7 August 2015

How to Paint by Susan L.

  It's my painting group today at the centre. I decided to do a session on painting portraits. It's not an area I am too familiar with. Going on line to watch some video teachings lead to a bit of practicing on my part. Portraits are definitely not my strong point. The human face is incredibly challenging. The first one ended up like a pasty corpse, the second was rather lopsided although the colour of the face was a bit healthier which was all I was after.
  One of the methods was done using acrylic washes where the diluted paint is applied layer after layer. Which makes sense if you think about the physical structure of the face: bones, muscles, blood vessels, skin layers. It did generate the translucent radiance of flesh.
  I figure I'll teach the group how to mix colours to create skin tones, at least Caucasian ones, and sort of let them get on with it. Most of them have been painting for a while but this is the first time we'll really get into mixing specific and difficult colours. Previously we've relied heavily on pre-mixed colours.
  I wonder if watercolours would be easier than acrylics?
  Not.
  Or maybe...the softer colours, the blending ability...perhaps another time we'll try. For now, acrylics.
  We aren't going to worry about drawing the outline. We'll trace images from magazines and transfer them to canvas. It'll speed up the process a bit although finding faces with light and shadow contrast is a bit hard in this day of airbrushed beauty.
  And there's no need to stress about this. Perhaps my role today is helping the budding artists simply see the various hues, to help them give life to the eyes. They truly are a window to the soul.
  "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, "It is more blessed to give than receive."" Acts 20:35
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...