Thursday 23 July 2015

Respectfully by Susan L.

  There's a rather non-descript, tiny, brown bird (possible a wren) that has built its nest in the birdhouse attached to the clothesline post. The birdhouse is too small for Starlings whose invasion is devastating the smaller songbird population. The mister has a beautiful, sweet song that graces the yard morning and evening much to my delight.
  The annual tradition of a frog in the pond has been upheld. This time it's a huge green frog barely noticeable amongst the lily pads. There's a tree frog somewhere in the towering ash tree that bridges the property line between me and my neighbour. For a small frog, they have a big voice.
  There are a couple of things bothering me about when we were away. There was a family with several young children camping next door to us. The kids took great pleasure in scampering through the underbrush and smashing the huge mushrooms growing in the deep bed of pine needles beneath the trees. The destruction grieved me terribly. There's a whole life cycle built around these mushrooms.
  I know they were just mushrooms but what is behind it is much bigger. Sadly, these children have not been taught to appreciate the wonders of nature or how to respect the core reasons for having a conservation area. The question is, who let them down? Me, for not speaking up because the damage had already been done? Their parents? Grandparents? Teachers?
  The other issue was whenever we went hiking, I usually picked up a piece of trash left on the path to dispose of it in the appropriate place. Seriously? I'll settle for a "Grrrr!"
  Lord, help me not judge. Forgive us for how we are neglecting and damaging this planet. Forgive us for not teaching our children the value of all Your creations big and small. In Jesus' name I pray.
  "Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men!" Ps 107:31
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps an email to the park would be in order - their publicity should include reminders to not leave garbage on trails and to not trample or pick undergrowth. I filled out the online customer satisfaction survey they sent me but there was nothing that asked about those issues. However, there was a comment window at the end. I included a comment about their mapping not indicating that we would hear the highway from our campsite.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...