Tuesday 23 June 2015

Thundery Rumbly by Susan L.

  The sky has just turned dark as dusk. The rain is falling in a solid curtain. I guess it's a tattered remnant of the storms that blew through starting yesterday evening. The heavens were lit up as flash after flash of lightening pierced the sky. The thunder snarled and crackled throughout most of the night. It startled me awake up a couple of times when it was really loud and close.
    Pumpkin hid under the bed. There were a couple of thunder booms that made me feel like I should have joined him! I don't like thunderstorms either.
  The power occasionally flickered but thankfully didn't go out for any length of time. Standing in the pouring rain in the middle of the night while lightening snaps and flashes just to get my generator hooked up to my sump pump isn't my idea of fun. And I'd have to do it, the water rushing into the pump pit downstairs sounds like Niagara Falls! There would only be minutes before the water begins to creep over the basement floor. It makes me glad I got the generator out last weekend and ran it for a while to make sure it was still operational.
  Which reminds me, I should check out the back up pump to make sure it's working, too.
  I also need to fiddle around with the shed door. It blew open despite being locked. I think it's too far from the frame so the latch doesn't sit deep enough in its little hole. Easy enough fixed. It only needs a thin piece of something to hold the metal catch plate away from the frame and closer to the door. I figure the wood has shrunk a bit because this wasn't a problem when it was installed.
  Thank You, Lord, that I have shelter from the storms. Thank You, I have the skills and tools to look after life's little repairs. Thank You, because this gratitude extends far beyond open doors and running waters. Amen to that!
  "The Lord has His way in the whirlwind and the storm, and the clouds are the dust of His feet." Nah 1:3
 
 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! Sounds like quite the storm. I'm thankful I live in an area that gets very few storms, little to no lightening and the occasional clap of thunder. I wouldn't want to worry about generators and such. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess some of it can be contributed to climate change. This part of Ontario is more susceptible to tornados than ever. It gives us something to think about: what exactly are we doing to this planet?

      Delete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...