Friday 12 June 2015

Accomplishments by Susan L.

  Three days of solid work only slowed by meals and thunderstorms enabled my son and I to get two lower cabinets and the shelving units for above built and installed. I am thankful for having the right tools which made the job much easier. He and his wife are very pleased with the results so far. There is still a bit of fancy trim to install, the screws and nails need wood filler, then all of it needs painting after a sanding. I can't wait to see it done!
  My daughter-in-law is an accomplished artist. On Wednesday she took part in an art battle as part of a fund raiser. Artists are provided with a heavy bodied acrylic paint and a canvas. They have twenty minutes to produce a work of art. Those who gathered to watch voted on their favorite. The winner has the opportunity to go to Ottawa for the National Art Battle and if they win that, on to the Internationals. The paintings were auctioned off with fifty percent of the proceeds going to the artist.
  My daughter-in-law made it to the finals. A wonderful success.
  The second round was short a couple of artists who hadn't shown so they offered the two wild card spots to anyone in the crown who might like a shot. In a rare moment of: Yes! I can do this! I volunteered. My daughter-in-law lent me a brush and pallet knife.
  The countdown began and with the command to start painting, I nearly knocked my easel over with the first brush stroke. I've never worked on one. My drafting table is much more sturdy!
  Time stopped, the noise of loud music and the crowd disappeared as my focus honed in on the image I'd chosen. The familiar shores and coloured granites of the Georgian Bay area quickly took shape as I mixed and slathered the paint, using the thick medium to carve the rocks onto the canvas.
  After spending so much time building cabinets with precise measurements and making sure everything was assembled square and true, the free-for-all of painting was like a release!
  I didn't make it to the finals but received a lot of compliments. And I made twenty-five dollars for myself and the fundraiser!
  "For the seed shall be prosperous. The vine shall give its fruit. The ground shall give her increase, and the heavens shall give their dew." Zech 8:12
 

4 comments:

  1. What a successful visit - for them and for yourself. Wow. A real sense of accomplishment must be swirling around you right now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what makes me happier...painting or building or writing or making music! They all bring me a unique joy!

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...