Tuesday 19 May 2015

Sunday by Susan L.

 I was a bit nervous going to church Sunday morning. Wherever a panic attack has happened, it makes it challenging to go back. Not knowing what the guest speaker would be like raised some concerns as well but until we have a permanent pastor, that will always be a big question mark. I also was a bit self-conscious about the letter I had written, about the responses or reactions I might be facing. The human part of me couldn`t help it.
  Several men asked me if I was doing okay. Wow.
  One of the elders told me that my letter about what happened last week wasn`t the only one they`d received against such a hard teaching style. Several members had found him very difficult to listen to. He had been a candidate for possible hire. Thankfully, that has fallen by the wayside because there was only one response in favor of his forceful ways.
  Lord, I lift him up to You. You know what lay in his heart. Help to fan his smouldering anger into flames of love and passion. Help him see himself as God sees him.
  And thank You that so many people offered words of encouragement and affirmation. It`s always good to know you are not alone.
  This past Sunday`s guest pastor was a delightfully gentle man who shared about the kingdom of God. Before he began and even though we`d already prayed, he offered his own prayer. In it, he asked the Lord to keep him hidden behind the cross so that the teaching would be of God and the Holy Spirit. What a wonderful opening!
  And Lord, I celebrate the dedicated men and women who are called to teach your word. Bless them, in Jesus name I pray.
  `Jesus said to him, ``Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.``Jn 20:29
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. My congregation will be looking for a new pastor in the near future. We have had an interim pastor for almost a year to aid us in healing after a whole series of issues. We have had a number of supply clergy as well. Some weeks any one of them might be terrific then a few weeks later the same person can leave me bored. There have been a week or two where I'm afraid my main thought was "Well, that is 2 hours of my life I will never get back".

    I wish you an inspiring week and a sense of peace when you next attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel "sorry" for pastors. They need to know the scriptures, and not just with their head. They need to have a firm hand to keep the wolves away from the sheep, yet gentle enough to lead the lambs to water and safety. They need to deal with business aspects, be in the world, but not of the world. They need to be available, yet be an example of healthy boundaries. They often need to be a husband and father, yet a leader to many. Every thing they do and say is judged and weighed, and everyone has a different measuring stick. Then, to top it all off, God's Word says that they will be judged doubly. They need our support and prayers so much. I do hope your church will find a good fit.

    It must have been reassuring to know your spirit was in sync with others about the other fellow. It is not "just you". It is not your past haunting you. It is a real and present sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that we as a congregation also need a good helping of grace. After all, the man or woman at the pulpit is only a human being with all the imperfections that go with that broken state. A generous amount of discernment, and personal wisdom is also needed because yes, pastors will be judged doubly but we also will face that same throne. It never hurts to investigate all teachings no matter the source to test them personally against scriptures.
    Lord, hear our prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...