Sunday 3 May 2015

Success by Susan L.

  It isn't much but getting the pond cleaned out yesterday was a success in my mind. I've been getting by with using dollar store fish/butterfly nets to remove leaf debris but the thin bamboo handles aren't quite sturdy enough. They come in handy in the fall when it's time to catch the fish but maybe I need an alternative to remove heavy, wet leaves and pine needles. I try and take out as much as possible before hooking up the pump to drain the water. Only using a bucket would take too much energy. The pond holds about a hundred gallons.
  It was nice to see that the water lily survived the bitter winter. It's sending up new leaves already. It isn't happy when I clean the organic material out because that's where it gets its nutrition. It slows its growth a bit until I add the fish. Goldfish add plenty of organic matter.
  As I hooked up the garden hose I realized I hadn't shut the outside water off last fall. Thank You, Lord, that the pipe didn't freeze!
  As much as we desperately need some rain, it felt good to be out in the sunshine doing what I love doing in the garden. A good chunk of yesterday was spent simply sitting and looking around, planning and deciding what to move around, what needs dividing. Oh the simple joy of it all!
  "But there was another great eagle with large wings and many feathers; and behold, this vine bent its roots toward him, from the garden terrace where it had been planted, that he might water it." Ez 17:7
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...