Tuesday 26 May 2015

Hurt and Laughter by Susan L.

  As I snuffled and coughed yesterday, not feeling up to doing much, I visited YouTube and watched some animal videos people had posted. I think I am missing something because what was posted was labeled as funny or the funniest ever. Most of them weren't to me. While some of them were cute, the majority were of animals either fighting, being terrified or potentially being hurt. It wasn't just the animals, but people were hurt as well by the animals' natural behaviours.
  One was of a man fishing at the edge of a pond with his back to a ram. The ram was backing up, preparing to charge. He was utterly oblivious to the danger. The person filming wasn't. They offered no warning but blithely kept filming so the man was smashed by the charging ram smack in the middle of his lower back. The force sent him flying into the water at least three feet from the shore. There's enough power in that charge to break bones. I hope the man was okay and not crippled by it.
  I suppose it's a culture thing that started many years ago. The Three Stooges, Charlie Chaplain and even Abbot and Costello all used slapstick humour. America's Funniest Home Videos emerged before the internet so I guess these postings on YouTube are part of the natural progression.
  Somehow it all goes over my head. Give me a good pun over a pie in the face any day.
  I am not alone in my take on things, others had posted comments berating the underlying cruelty offered up as funny. Although, me watching just adds to the statistics which encourage others to post this kind of thing. I'll be more selective in what I watch in the future.
  There is one that stands out however. We could probably learn a lot from the mother cat who also had a pair of ducklings nestled in with her kittens. Tender care surpasses species.
  Isn't that how it's supposed to be?
  "Therefore take heed to ourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood." Acts 20:28
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...