Sunday 12 April 2015

Rabbit by Susan L.

  There's a rabbit sitting in the middle of my front yard enjoying the morning sun. It's the first time I've seen one in the area in all the years I've lived here. Throughout the winters I've seen bunny tracks in the snow on the driveway but no actual animal. It surprises me that there is one. The land is low and swampy and wet under foot. He wouldn't be able to dig too deeply either before hitting water.
  It's not like I have a beautifully manicured lawn full of rich grass to attract him. I guess the clover and the new, tender shoots of dandelions are a better meal for him. Of those, there is plenty.
  What a nice way to start the morning.
  The air is filled with birdsong, too. More and more birds have returned adding their voices to the chorus. There's a woodpecker who insists on tapping his beak on my neighbour's metal antenna tower. The metallic ring must be heard for miles. It's a bird internet dating site. "Newly arrived in the area. Looking for company. No long term commitment required." Clang! Clang!
  I've only seen one of the turkey vultures who nest across the road. Perhaps its mate is yet to arrive. They are older birds, if it's the same pair who have been my neighbours for the entire time I've lived here. Migration south and back again must be exhausting.
  Thank you Lord, that I live in a place where nature is at my doorstep. Thank You for the joy it brings me. Thank You for the incredible diversity in Your creations. But most of all, thank You that winter is finally over!
  "Praise the Lord, call upon His name; Declare His deeds among the peoples, Make mention that His name is exalted. Sing to the Lord, for He had done excellent things; This is know in all the earth." Is 12:4-5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...