Thursday 5 March 2015

Apple Crisp by Susan L.

  It's community lunch today at the centre. My co-worker is going to heat up some broccoli and cheddar soup that was in the freezer. There's heaps of buns in there as well thanks to a donation. We have two large bags of apples from the Good Food Box order so I volunteered to make an apple crisp today. The apples are rather small so it'll mean a good amount of peeling. It might be prudent to bring my own peeler. The ones at the centre are fairly new so they don't work the best and well, every cook has their own preference.
  There's something heartwarming about the smell of cinnamon and apples baking. It creates an aura of comfort and home. It sets the tummy rumbling in anticipation. Mmmmm...can't wait! I know the soup will be delicious. It always is.
  My co-worker used to be a chef. Talk about being spoiled! And even though I've done my own share of cooking over the years, she has taught me a thing or two. Like taking the time to roast the bones being used to make soup stock. This adds a mountain of flavour.
  I've learned more than cooking from her. She has modeled the fundamentals of peer support from the moment I walked in the door as a visitor. I've learned from the best.
  Learning how to do peer support has helped me be a better Christian. It's an exercise in grace, patience and compassion. Taking the time to be there for another person is all peer support is. Just being there to listen, or hold a hand, cry together or to have a laugh is the one of the greatest gifts we can give another person.
  Connection.
  It's even better than apples and cinnamon.
  "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom 8:38-39
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...