Monday 26 January 2015

Leap First by Susan L.

  And like a frog, ask questions later.
  There was a meeting last night regarding the future of our church. It was an opportunity to ask questions and have them answered by the elders. I'm not sure if everyone is truly aware of the precarious position the church is in right now. Not having a pastor, declining numbers, insufficient funds are all pointing in one direction. It isn't a good one.
  Which is why the elders are strongly encouraging us to go with a video teaching and hiring a person to do all the other things pastors do. Growth is desperately needed and we need to be different than the other churches in Alliston. I believe in the vision they have for our church.
  I had prayed before I went: that the Holy Spirit would guide me in anything I said. Towards the end, what came out of my mouth surprised me. I am not a member of the church and technically I had no right to speak but couldn't help myself. Being a "card carrying" member of a church is a concept I've struggled with in the past. I questioned why, if I am already a member of a greater church, is there a need to sign up with a particular body?
  Now I get it.
  It appears I am to become one.
  At least, that's what came out of my mouth last night. I want to be part of this church's family no matter where the future lay. Although, I do like Bruxy Cavey's teachings which is a bonus. I realized after I thought about what I'd said that joining up it isn't about signing on a dotted line. It's about belonging; about being part of something bigger than myself. It's about relationships and trust and growing in community. It's about accountability.
  Lord, I pray that the church will continue. I pray that people will trust in the leading of the elders. In Jesus' most precious name. Amen.
  "I say, "Keep the king's commandment for the sake of your oath to God." Eccl 8:2
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...