Sunday 2 November 2014

Rabbit Trails by Susan L.

  I've another little project to do. My mom's childhood bobsled has resided in my basement for a good number of years. It's made of wood with metal runners. I've decided to repurpose it and make it into a coffee table for the living room. It'll be nice for winter and come spring, the current trunk/toy box/table can be put back.
  The sled needs a base to raise it up to a decent height. I've plenty of wood left from building the book case that will do nicely. The build part will be a low table that the bobsled can rest on and will provide a shelf for magazines or whatever. It'll be painted or possibly stained black to match the fireplace.
  Here's the good part: this idea has been in my head for a number of years. The only thing holding me back was I wanted a clear tray to protect the sled and provide a smooth, stable surface. It wasn't something actively looked for and only came to mind from time to time.
 Yesterday, H and I had some business to attend to in the city. We stopped at a linen outlet store right next door to where we needed to go. It was full of bedding, towels, bathroom accessories, and some kitchen wares. Guess what I found? A large, clear acrylic tray. It was exactly what I wanted for the tiny sum of a few dollars. It felt like Christmas!
  As I was paying for it, the cashier said to me, "They sell these at Bloomingdales for $300."
  Okay. I got a deal. (Thank You, Lord.) And Bloomingdales, the famous high end geared to the rich department store, is committing what amounts to highway robbery.
  Yes, retail does mark up prices but not as much as you think. Stores have to make a profit as well as cover the costs of running a business. However, a mark up of nearly 300% is a bit over the top wouldn't you say?
  Years ago I went to Las Vegas for a long weekend. I didn't gamble much but spend most of that walking around looking at the glitz and glitter of a town geared to one purpose: to get as much of your money as possible. There was a shopping centre with stores which had beautiful and incredibly expensive things to spend your winnings on. (I never even came close to winning a fraction of their cost.)
  There were also countless pawn shops, a testimony to the darker side of gambling. They likely did more business than the mall.
  I thank God for His provision in all things that matter to me. A provision that includes finances and bargains. He's given me opportunities to learn the skills needed to tackle whatever project comes to mind. Most of all, He has filled my heart with contentment so I don't need to shop at Bloomingdales simply to say I shopped there. I am thrilled with road side finds. Home made, hand-me-down works as well.
  I've never been back to Las Vegas. Once was enough.
  "For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all things shall be added to you." Mat 6:32-33
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a fun project! I keep reading your posts, shaking my head, at all you accomplish. Bit jealous...but happy! Congrats on the great tray find - score!! Enjoy. Maybe post a pic so we can enjoy too!!

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...