Wednesday 3 September 2014

Guardian by Susan L.

  I was working in the garden yesterday and bent over to dig up a currant bush that had made a home where it wasn't wanted. I am usually very careful when working around bushes or trees but the awkwardness of digging up the bush from a chaotic hedgerow had me focused on trying to find the roots and dig them out. A thick-as-your-thumb, cut off branch jabbed me hard in the eye or rather, my eye lid. Either I was looking down or had blinked at the right moment. The end result was a bit of a bruise and slight tenderness. It could have been so much worse.
  Someone, a most marvelous, awesome Someone is definitely watching over me.
  How very reassuring.
  How many times in a day do we have near misses that we are totally oblivious to? Perhaps that person who is driving too slow in front of us is there to stop us from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Perhaps the huge lineup at the grocery store where only one cashier is on duty saves us from a catastrophic event.
  Perhaps all those things that make us frustrated and sometimes even angry are God's way of protecting His children.
  I can forget that sometimes and allow situations I have no control over to get under my skin. It takes events like an eye poking to remind me to keep an eye open for the visible Hand of God working in my life every single day. Wonderful miracles can come in teeny tiny packages.
  "Then He turned to His disciples and said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see; for I tell you that many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and have not seen it, and to hear what you hear, and have not heard it." Lk 10:23-24
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I think of that so often. I'm sure that in glory we will see the protective Hand of God on our lives. I appreciate it so much. My "sin" lies in not letting that same thought fill my heart when something goes bad. An accident, loss of job, loss of vision - it is often hard to see God's Hand then. May I be able to trust God in all things. He is in control.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...