Tuesday 30 September 2014

A Journey Begins by Susan L.

  Ten years ago I began a quest. It began with losing everything I had which, at the time, defined me. My role of wife vanished overnight because of the sudden and shocking dissolution of a twenty year relationship. (The best thing that could have ever happened!) My role as mother changed drastically because my last chick left home for school. I guess it could be called a mid-life crisis that was a bit early.
  My journey with the Lord began with a simple prayer, "Who am I?"
  The Lord has proven faithful in providing answers. He has been with me as we plumbed the dark lands of a sad history of abuse. The best part is as I have grown to know myself, I have come to know Him in a most intimate manner.
  I have made a momentous decision. There's no second guessing, no doubt, no fear. This is not the norm when I make up my mind about anything as I've shared before. I feel in my heart and soul that this is the next step.
  I have done a lot of prayer work surrounding the circumstances of my birth. I was adopted as a ten day old infant by caring and wonderful people. (Thank you, Mom, for your sacrifice, your grace and understanding as I seek answers.)
  I have never known any other parents.
  I am blessed to have a wonderful and loving step-dad. He came into my Mom's life after she was left a widow some twenty-five years ago. But still, there are questions. In fact, there's a giant question mark that sits in the back of my mind. Part of the "Who am I?" is "Where did I come from?"
  God bless the miracles of modern science. It is now possible to have DNA tests done that will reveal the heritage that runs in our veins. That is part of the decision. I am going to send away for the kit and have the test done that will trace my genetic line far back into history.
  The second part is getting in touch with Children's Aid, who initially handled the adoption, and getting hold of my file. There are still some choices to be made. I haven't decided whether or not I want to know my birth parent's name. I have no intention of getting hold of her anyways. It might be good to know. Or not. I'm not sure either if I want her to get hold of me. This is possible once I connect with Children's Aid unless I state otherwise.
  I am hoping there will be some medical history because that's always been an unknown. There a DNA test to find genetic markers for various illnesses. It may be something to think about down the road.
  "So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the captivity in Babylon until Christ are fourteen generations." Mat 1:17
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...