Tuesday 12 August 2014

Robin Williams by Susan L.

  It is so sad that Robin Williams, the incredible actor and comedian, is no longer with us. The world is waiting for confirmation but it is believed he took his own life.
  My heart goes out to him and his family. I am sorry the help he needed wasn't there. I am even sorrier he couldn't reach out for help, that the black dog ravaged and devoured his spirit.
  It must be hard living in the spotlight. The demands of a public who worship entertainment magazines or shows, and follow the instant exposure of social media must make it hard to keep it real. I can't image what it must be like to have no privacy, to have your every choice from what you eat for breakfast to how you raise your kids held up for inspection. Whenever you go out, your every article of clothing, your hair, your body, is judged by those who supply the fodder for the feeding frenzy of  fans. If you are recognised, you are mobbed, even if you are with your family on holiday.
  Even your garbage is rifled through.
  Photographers use long range lenses to intrude on your home, your space, your life.
  You are constantly watched by those who feel they need to know everything.
  I can't imagine how hard it must be to be famous.
  I am sorry that drugs and alcohol are the things you believed would help you cope.
  Like far too many other famous people who have taken the same path, I just wish they had my phone number. I'd have listened.
  May you rest in peace, Robin.
  "But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into." Lk 12:39

4 comments:

  1. I heard that Robin has publicly admitted his drug and alcohol problems for many years, and in typical fashion, joked about them. He sought help on and off. He's been on the wagon and fallen off, more than once I think. But I don't think he was without resources. His experience certainly goes to show that it is not how much money, or popularity, or joy you bring to others that will bring joy and peace to your own life, especially when it comes to depression. Depression is one of the great equalizers. And depression is a life-long battle. It's sad that it took Robin's life in an untimely way. May God have mercy on his soul (as I ask that He have mercy on us all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you mentioned you wished Robin had your phone number - you would have listened, the same thing ran through my mind. I believe listening is so important, but there is a part of you that also wants "it fixed". And when you can't do it, can't fulfill any part of the deal - it is so dark. We had a good friend that committed suicide - shock. Our hearts cry was why didn't he tell us it was so bad??? We would have done anything. It is a terrible, terrible place to be - for the one in the pit, and those left around its edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, everything always comes down to learning to give up control, and trusting God - then I have peace. I/we can't fix all the issues that distress us. We have to accept our powerlessness and acknowledge God's sovereignty. That moves me from darkness to light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on both sides of suicide as the one in the depths of darkness and as one who has sat alongside another in their darkness. I thank God they made the choice to live. It was their choice. My thoughts for Robin are that despite being surrounded by loved ones he ended up in the terrible place of alone.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...