Friday 29 August 2014

Gentle Morning by Susan L.

  At last a morning I can slide in to without being rushed to get my blog done before the busy-ness of the day takes over. I miss having these moments when they aren't there. Somehow the day doesn't feel quite right.
  After work yesterday I spent a few hours working on the shed until the sun vanished behind the trees and the light was too poor. All the windows and trim are now ready for paint and two walls are stained with a first coat. It's a slow and painstaking labour of brush because the barn board is rough and it takes a brush to work the stain into all the various grooves and knots of the pine. I picked a putty/gray clay colour that is in the shingles to soften the appearance and have it blend in a bit. In surveying the job I realised it matches the 1950's stone cut cinder block foundation of the house. The trim is going to be a medium dark taupe, again a colour from the shingles. I chose a grayish denim blue for the door to give it some oomph.
  I'll be glad when it's finished. I never thought the big build would take so long. Although with all the rain, work and with going away it delayed the process somewhat. I just have to remind myself to be patient, to not rush the finishing touches, something I am prone to doing. That's when mistakes are made.
  It's nice too to take this time to daydream a bit about the flower beds I am going to put around it next spring. I hope to put some different plants in instead of simply dividing what I have which is how most of the other gardens have been created. That's one downside to having mostly perennials. When they get too big, what do you do with the pieces divided from the main plant? Simple. Create another flower bed!
  I'm still thinking about a saying to put above the door although I'll make a plaque instead of painting it directly on the trim. That way if it needs re-painting I only have to take it down instead of standing on a ladder doing the lettering. I have a steady hand but it's not that steady.
  But I get ahead of myself. Let's get her finished first.
  "Then He said, "What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it? It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and put in his garden; and it grew and became a large tree, and the birds of the air nested in its branches."" Lk 13:18-19
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...