Wednesday 2 July 2014

Speed Zone Changes by Susan L.

  Cars go racing and trucks go thundering by my home well over the speed limit on a regular basis. Half a country block north, just before the row of houses of which I am part, the limit changes from seventy klicks to eighty. The road is straight and relatively flat with only one big hill a couple of kilometers south near the highway. The new pavement of a couple years ago simply begs to put the pedal to the metal.
  There are a two narrow bridges where a pair of pickup trucks would be hard pressed to pass without knocking the side mirrors off. Most of the time drivers take turns, treating them as a singe lane. Whoever gets there first gets the right-of-way as a courtesy. Maybe that's why the speed limit is eighty, the bridges act as natural stop signs. It doesn't have any effect if there's no one coming from the opposite direction.
  Several years ago, the third night I was in my new home, a young driver lost control at the bridge three driveways down from me. He ended up becoming airborne and flew into my neighbour's trees. His passenger, a nineteen year old girl, was thrown from the car and later died. I believe the driver succumbed to his injuries a few days later. This tragedy was all because of speed.
  I am wondering who to talk to about getting the speed limit changed. I wonder if I am the only one it bothers. Would a petition have an impact (I've heard they don't.)? Or would it be better to get everyone in our little community, some dozen houses, to call...the town? The ministry of transportation? The police?
  It bears some looking in to. Not only for my own peace of mind but perhaps it just might save a life.
  "The ear that hears the rebukes of life will abide among the wise." Prov 15:31

3 comments:

  1. It is the OPP's job to patrol for and ticket speeders. You can call them to report the issue.

    It is the municipality's responsibility to set the speeds. A petition from local residents can be submitted to Council for safety consideration. However, lowering the speed limit still won't guarantee everyone will slow down, and you're back to the OPP to enforce the law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote many a letter to the municipality. I just got the form/polite letters back. The last letter suggested contacting my local community group. It was amazing how much louder the voice of the group was. First we got speed bumps - the gradual ones. That was not enough. We then got traffic circles at 2 intersections. (People like to take the path of lest resistance.) I would suggest writing a letter to the municipality and a copy to your local community group. I'm not saying the changes on our "race strip" happened quickly - but it did happen!! Oh - you can also request on of those "You are going this speed" electronic signs. I believe the municipality will set that up for you. All the best. Good on ya for caring when so many just don't even bother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes a community to change a community. Years ago I spearheaded a group to restrict intensive agriculture in what was basically a rural residential area. It took several years and countless meetings with the various ministries involved but the local township did pass bi-laws regarding size, location etc of these environmentally damaging industrial farms. Their model was copied by many other municipalities. A little voice can speak volumes.
    I think I'll go knocking on the neighbour's doors.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...