Friday 25 July 2014

Shed by Susan L.

  The plans are drawn, the materials ordered, and my son is coming up tonight for the weekend to help with the big build. It's so exciting! I can't wait to see the project completed. It will be a lot of work but I'll be happy if we get the framing done, the plywood on the roof and the door hung. All tasks that absolutely need two sets of hands. The finishing touches I can do on my own like framing out and installing the windows, putting on the siding and doing the shingles. The interior stuff can be done solo as well like building the potting bench with drawers for small garden tools and building shelves.
  I think we'll start with the hardest wall first, while minds and bodies are fresh. That's the front wall with a doorway and two windows. Yes, the plans are drawn, but the builder's saying is "measure twice, cut once". That's the wall that will set the height for the rest of the build. (I am pretty sure I have it right already.) The next will be the south side with a large window in it as well. The last two walls will be solid. It will definitely be bright inside. I really don't care for entering a dark and cobwebby shed. (Part of the incentive for getting rid of the tiny aluminum one that was in the back yard.)
  My grandson is interested in building, thanks to his Grandpappy who was able to spend some quality time with him in the mornings before school. They watched a house being built. When I told my grandson I was building a shed, the first thing he asked was if I had dug the foundations yet. Wasn't that a surprise! I told him I didn't need to because I already had a cement slab. If I remember, I'll post pictures on Facebook as the shed evolves just for him.
  I really enjoy this kind of work: building and renovating. I grew up with a renovating dad and would often fall asleep to the sound of a hammer. The smell of sawdust always reminds me of him.
  I will probably miss the next couple of posts but will be back next week.
  "Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars." Prov 9:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...