Thursday 31 July 2014

Peace by Piece by Susan L.

  It was a good day yesterday. I spent the whole day in the yard carefully fitting barn boards to the shed's frame. Using smooth finishing nails, each piece was tacked in place to make sure it was level and the spacing was right. I wasn't sure how the boards fit, what space to use between them so the math took a bit. It's not my strong point.
  It was a bit tricky cutting out around the doors and windows for the front wall. Nevertheless, I get great pleasure out of this type of work; out of taking the time to do it right. The tricky bits have made me very thankful I have the tools. There's a couple of hand held power saws which were given to me by my step dad and uncle who no longer needed them. Truly a blessing. If I had to saw the wood by hand it'd be next July before the shed was built! I did leave a couple of the most complicated cuts for another day. Being tired by the time I reached them,  I didn't want to be handling heavy power tools.
  The rich, sweet scent of the pine boards fills the back yard and wafts into the house. It's a clean smell that delights my soul. It's the incense of newness, of creation. It means that something wonderful is taking place in the here and now. It means that nothing is becoming something. It means that this something is being done in a hope for the future.
  It means I am well. Achy, yes. A bit stiff but not overwhelmed, not anxious. It means my back is healed. That, too, is a blessing.
  It's a humble celebration of the gifts the Lord has given me. Not just the tools, but the experience, the knowledge and, dare I say with deepest gratitude, the courage to begin such a big job, to try. The video I watched on how to build the roof did a lot for that. The professional contractor being filmed used shims to disguise a cut that was less than perfect. I figured if he can make little mistakes, so can I!
  And herein lay grace. It's okay to make mistakes. God can teach us how to make them right.
  "For my eyes have seen Your salvations which You have prepared before the face of all peoples, a light to bring revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Your people Israel." Lk 2:31-32
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. First off I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.

    I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts
    out. I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first
    10 to 15 minutes are generally lost simply
    just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips?
    Many thanks!

    my blog post: art glass pendant lighting

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...