Thursday 17 July 2014

A Sign by Susan L.

    A local church has a sign out front where every week they put a new inspirational saying. Sometimes they are thoughtful and enlightening or funny. This week's not so much. It says, "With hope there is no broken heart." (I think that's right.)
  I trust the Lord to use these signs but for me, this one stirred up some issues. And I smile. I guess the Lord is using it in my life anyways! It has made me angry.
  For me, this statement enforces that old Christian myth, that a life with Jesus will stop us from ever feeling the bad things again. It instills shame, that somehow we are inadequate as followers of Jesus if we do feel anything but happy, snappy worshippers. It reinforces the belief that if we hurt emotionally, we are some how less than, or not good enough to enter God's house.
  It's the opposite that is true. Despite the sign. To paraphrase, "Come to Me, you who are heavy laden."
  Someone once commented years ago that, as a "Christian", my eyes shouldn't look so sad. That was before my breakdown. Before the two hospitalizations. Before years of therapy. Before being diagnosed with depression and PTSD. I had Jesus. How could I look so sad? It puzzled me at the time. I couldn't help what my eyes looked like.
  They aren't so sad looking any more. There's been a lot of healing but there's still deep and life impacting wounds as I have shared. It's those wounds, the hurt, that have enabled me to connect to my Lord on so many levels. Jesus' cup wasn't fizzy pop. It was suffering, rejection, pain, sorrow and yes, His heart has broken many times. Over us. Over what damage we do to each other.
  That's why He died.
  The good stuff is in there too. The cup contains the ability to surrender, to sacrifice, to let go. Laughter, redemption, forgiveness, determination, intimacy, play, and limitless possibilities are also there when we drink deeply of His life's blood. But mostly there is acceptance and tender encouragement to rise above this life on earth, to be a better person.
  I think the sign should read, "In Christ a broken heart can hope."
  If you don't know Him on a personal level, I invite you to ask Jesus into your heart just as you are. No preparations necessary. There's nothing He'd like more than to be with you.
  Simply say, "Lord, forgive me my sins. I want You to be in my life, my heart, my present and my future. Holy Spirit, wisdom and guide, I need You to be with me now and forever. Help me learn God's way. In Jesus Name I pray."
  Peace be with you.
  "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in times of need." Heb 4:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 1

    "Keep on seeking, and you will find." Mathew 7:7     I am still dealing with the fallout of Friday's panic attack. The wor...